2 posts every week showing you all the latest fads!

Friday 17 April 2015

LoveReading - Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent


Unravelling Oliver*


One of my favourite hobbies is reading and it's been my main hobby since I was a little girl. I've always been known to have my nose in a book. After I finished my English degree, I was desperate to get back into reading for leisure so I jumped when my friend told me to sign up to LoveReading. LoveReading offer the chance for you read and review upcoming novels from various different writers. The service is completely free and they only ask for you to review the books and submit your review once done.

When I received my e-mail at work, the synopsis of this novel caught my eye. It sounded a little bit like Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which I really enjoyed reading on my holiday in Turkey last year. I snapped up the novel straight away and eagerly awaited my parcel.




Let me introduce to you Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent. The novel is described as a dark psychological thriller and a real page turner. It tells the story of Oliver Ryan, a successful author who one day attacks his wife, Alice, and puts her into a coma. Nugent's novel opens up the debate of childhood experiences shaping your adult life through Oliver's character.

Within the first chapter, it gives the impression that the attack was completely unprovoked. It's beautifully honest and to the point which I found captivating. I wanted to read more on why the husband attacked his wife - with questions running through my head - I devoured the novel wanting to know more about this man.

The novel is told from a number of different characters perspectives who encounter and know Oliver through different stages in his life. There are also a few chapters where Oliver gives his account and shows how clever and manipulative he is. Nugent's writing style is wonderful - each character has a different voice and as a reader you always feel drawn to her characters. Each different character unravels more and more about Oliver which builds up a picture about him and why he attacked Alice that night.

If you're a huge fan of Gone Girl, I would recommend you read Unravelling Oliver for your holidays.

Have you read Unravelling Oliver? Or do you have any recommendations on the books we need to read this year?



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Fadulous | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig